The Legislative Council is composed of 22 Legislative Council representatives, including two from each of the Nation’s 11 districts. Two representatives are elected from within the Council to serve two-year terms as the Council chairperson and vice-chairperson. The remaining representatives each serve on three of the Legislative Council’s 12 standing committees. The Council is governed by the Legislative Rules of the Tohono O’odham Legislative Council.
Laws Enacted or Amended 2020-2022
- Tohono O’odham Gaming Enterprise Charter, 16 T.O.C. Chapter 2, amended by Resolution No. 23-293 to add Section 7(g) Prohibition on Gifts to Elected Officers and Employees, effective August 8, 2023.
- Whistleblower Protection law, 13 T.O.C. Chapter 3, enacted by Resolution No. 22-225, effective date of October 20, 2023.
- Elections law, 12 T.O.C. Chapter 1, amended by Resolution No. 23-021 to clarify voter eligibility and registration requirements, effective January 18, 2023
- Public Safety Emergency Curfew law, enacted by Resolution No. 22-367, effective within San Lucy Village October 10, 2022 to November 9, 2022 from 9:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. each night.
- Violating a Public Health Measure law, 4 T.O.C. Chapter 4, enacted by Resolution No. 20-443, effective December 14, 2020, was extended by Resolution No. 21-475, effective December 20, 2021, to automatically repeal on December 31, 2022
- Gaming Revenue Distribution Formula and District Allocation Guidelines, 26 T.O.C. Chapter 1, Article 3, amended by Resolution No. 21-426 to reflect the allocation to the Permanent Trust Fund effective
- Tohono O’odham Gaming Enterprise Charter, 16 T.O.C. Chapter 2, amended by Resolution No. 21-437 to amend Sections 6(m)(1) and (2) to establish a first preference for enrolled members of the Nation in employment and contracting and Section 5(d)(4) to expressly recognize the Enterprise’s authority, effective November 22, 2021.
- Ordinance for the Regulation of Gaming Activities amendments, 16 T.O.C. Chapter 1, (adopts 2021 Gaming Ordinance Amendments to implement 2021 Tohono O’odham Nation-State of Arizona Gaming Compact amendments).
- Tohono O’odham Gaming Enterprise Charter amendment, 16 T.O.C. Chapter 2, (amending Section 5(c)(3) to adjust the management board quorum requirement) effective August 19, 2021.
- Tow Truck Regulations and Requirements, 5 T.O.C. Chapter 4, enacted by Resolution No. 20-307 on September 18, 2020. Resolution No. 21-061 approved a new effective date of May 1, 2021.