The Legislative Council is composed of 22 Legislative Council representatives, including two from each of the Nation’s 11 districts. Two representatives are elected from within the Council to serve two-year terms as the Council chairperson and vice-chairperson. The remaining representatives each serve on three of the Legislative Council’s 12 standing committees. The Council is governed by the Legislative Rules of the Tohono O’odham Legislative Council.
Laws Enacted or Amended 2017-2020 Session
- Tow Truck Regulations and Requirements, 5 T.O.C. Chapter 4, enacted by Resolution No. 20-307 on September 18, 2020 with an effective date of February 1, 2021
- Water Code amendments, 25 T.O.C. Chapter 3 (adopts 2019 amendments to address Article 5 notice and public comment provisions for adoption of regulations by the Water Resources Department Director, factors to consider when determining quantities of water to be delivered to the San Xavier Reservation and eastern Schuk Toak District during a deficiency year, and other SAWRSA CAP Water shortage provisions), effective April 9, 2019.
- Elections Law amendments, 12 T.O.C. Chapter 1 (adopts 2018 amendments to address political signage, to clarify the referendum petition and pamphlet, to prescribe the qualifications of candidates, to simplify absentee ballot requests, to address Election Board membership, to address the declaration of candidacy timeframes, and to add a disqualification from office provision after removal), effective September 18, 2018.
- Tohono O’odham Community College (Tohono O’odham Kekel Ha-mascamakud) Charter amendments, 11 T.O.C. Chapter 1 (adopts 2018 amendments to reflect current structure of TOCC, change legal name and seal to Tohono O’odham Kekel Ha-mascamakud, eliminates unnecessarily detailed job descriptions, and elaborates on the duties of the Board), effective June 20, 2018.
- Transaction Privilege Tax amendments, 22 T.O.C. Chapter 2 (to exempt purchases of goods made by the Tohono O’odham Nation government or a district government), effective May 22, 2018.
- Contracting and Procurement Authority amendment, 26 T.O.C. Chapter 1, Article 4, (to include contracting authority for the Tohono O’odham Nation Health Care) effective May 22, 2018.
- Appointed Officers Law, 1 T.O.C. Chapter 4, effective March 9, 2018.
- Tohono O’odham Gaming Enterprise Charter amendments, 16 T.O.C. Chapter 2, effective September 25, 2017.
- Gaming Revenue Distribution Formula amendments, 26 T.O.C. Chapter 1, Article 3, Section 1301(A) and (B), effective October 1, 2017.
- Enrollment Ordinance amendments 14 T.O.C. Chapter 1 (to delete automatic hearing for membership applications that are recommended for rejection, amend sponsorship definition, identify confidential documents, and provide base roll additions process) effective May 15, 2017.
- 4 T.O.C. Chapter 3 – Garnishment Law will become effective October 1, 2017.
- Criminal Code amendment 7 T.O.C. Chapter 1 adopting amendment to Section 3.4 Criminal Trespass (to clarify that a Nation’s member entering a district while banished and after receiving notice of the banishment may be prosecuted for Criminal Trespass) effective January 20, 2017.
- General Welfare law amendments, 22 T.O.C. Chapter 3 (implements authority acknowledged by the Tribal General Welfare Exclusion Act of 2014 and incorporates safe harbor rule), effective October 10, 2016.